International Student Insurance
New Mexico Tech students are required to show proof of valid medical insurance coverage through a U.S.-based insurance company before registering for classes. Students may select the insurance company of their choice.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT INFORMATION
Beginning in the 2014-2015 academic year, New Mexico Tech will require international students in F-1, J-1, or J-2 status to provide proof of student health insurance coverage provided by his or her home school (in the case of visiting students), a parent's family-plan insurance, or a short-term insurance by a provider who specializes in coverage for students of US institutions while studying abroad. The insurance must meet or exceed the following minimum standards:
- Provision for pre-existing conditions
- Coverage for mental and nervous disorders of $5,000 or more
- Overall medical benefits of $50,000 or more ($100,000 is recommended)
- Emergency evacuation and repatriation of $7,500 or more
- Repatriation of remains of $10,000 or more
First-time students should purchase insurance before arriving on campus. Students who have existing insurance plans which meet the minimum standards listed above must provide proof of coverage before they register for classes.